2014: Łódź celebrates the 450th anniversary of William Shakespeare’s birth
To celebrate the 450th anniversary of William Shakespeare’s birth ISSC is preparing an exhibition – ŁÓDŹ SHAKESPEARE: THE EXHIBITION TO COMMEMORATE THE 450th ANNIVERSARY OF THE BARD’S BIRTH. Held for two weeks and located on the first floor of the University Library, 32 Matejki Street, the exhibition will include:
- a collection of Polish translations of Shakespeare;
- a collection of works written by scholars from Łódź devoted to Shakespeare (members of ISSC and the English Department of the University of Łódź);
- costumes, posters and programmes of Shakespeare’s plays performed in the theatres of Łódź: The Stefan Jaracz Theatre, The Grand Theatre, The Powszechny Theatre and The Nowy Theatre;
- photographs from Shakespearean productions by students of National Film School in Łódź;
- a collection of items related to the cult of Shakespeare in popular culture;
- visual materials concerning the presence of William Shakespeare in (pop)culture
The opening of the exhibition will be preceded by a lecture entitled “SHAKESPEARE IN ŁÓDŹ CULTURE” and a workshop session “Shakespeare and Popular Culture: Movies, Advertisements and Computer Games” organized as a part of the 15th Science, Technology and Art Festival in Łódź.
Is Shakespeare pop? How does he influence our contemporary culture? How does pop culture make use of Shakespeare to reach contemporary audience? Which Shakespearean works are most commonly used? Which Shakespearean characters appear in commercials and advertisements? Which quotations are used in contemporary media? Are there computer games that make use of Shakespeare?
Shakespearean panel will be devoted to the Shakespeare phenomenon in popculture. “Shakespeare is everywhere” – to be heard and seen everyday. We are seldom conscious of why he appears at a different place or time and still has a significant influence on our contemporary culture.